Saturday, November 13, 2010

Whatever you do – DON'T HONK!



Do you want to know a surefire way to scare away your newly found Swedish friends? Honk the horn next time you take them for a spin in your Volvo. Nothing will make them duck and cringe like a good New York 'HONK' at someone who cuts you off. But it doesn't even take that, if you so much as 'tootle' the car in front of you to let them know the light has turned green during their cell phone discussion – chances are your Swedish friends will find 1001 excuses to never to get in a vehicle with you again.

I have to admit I have a hard time laying off the horn. But I have found myself faced with horrifiedly angry drivers shooting me 'poison dart eyes' when I have tried to point out that it was a good time to take that left hand turn.

So now I feel truly Swedish – last week on the way to work I sat behind a car stopped at a green light for at least a minute – and I didn't touch the horn.

(Side note – I have been told that this rule applies even more strongly to Swedish women than men – who might occasionally use a horn if a moose crosses the road. Yes, I have seen a moose cross the road.)

Rule #2 – Your car horn is for decoration only.

No comments:

Post a Comment