Friday, October 11, 2013

Alice Munro Nobel Prize Laureate



Now I have been living in Sweden long enough to realize that no one is a Nobel Prize winner, they are all Nobel Prize Laureates (ok, I know that many Americans know this too, but I am not one of them).

But while The Swede anticipates the science awards, I sit around all morning to watch the announcement of the Nobel Prize in Literature.

As a big reader, I am always happy when the winner is someone I have actually read before. And while I know the point of the prize is to bring attention to writers others may not have heard of before, I always get a little disappointed when the prize goes to an English writer that somehow slipped through my fingers.

But Alice Munro has not. As a regular reader of the New Yorker (or as regular as you can be, as a subscriber to the e-magazine I spend most of my time trying to catch up on last months magazines than getting the most up to date issue), I am certainly familiar with Ms. Munro and her amazing stories.

And also how great that the award went to a short story writer, a story telling form which is often underappreciated, but is such an incredible art form.

So basically, what I am saying is, GOOD CHOICE SWEDEN! And YAY for Ms. Munro and the short story!

ETA - Yes, I realize I spelled the name wrong... I am going to blame my head cold and my sick kids for that one -- or make an excuse for trying to lure all of the google searchers who spelled the name wrong. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment